Amazing news! As I finish months three on Accutane, I have finally started seeing some results from being on this medication. It finally feels like the constant popping of pills, continuous aches and pains, and thinning of hair is going to pay off. Seriously staying positive here.
One thing I have noticed is that the moment I combined a range of products that were specifically formulated to combat acne, in conjunction with taking Accutane, things started to change, for the better.
For those of you who don’t know, I have been using Environ Care Clarity+ Range while taking my Accutane and it has worked wonders. Their products have helped with preventing new breakouts and clearing my scars. One weird thing is I have started breaking out under my chin, which is unusual considering I never usually break out in that spot but, I have stopped breaking out in my usual spots such as my jawline and cheeks. I have to say, it’s been pretty amazing washing my face and not feeling a million little bumps on my skin. I look forward to washing my face and no longer completely avoiding the mirror.
Bodily aches and pains have gotten worse. I suppose with a few positives, comes a few negatives, especially when you are on medication this strong. My dermatologist has refused to up my dosage because of the constant aches and pains that sometimes keep me up at night but, I am seeing the progress on the current dosage I am on, which is great.
Here are a few positives:
- Little to no breakouts on my usual infected areas such as jawline, chin and back.
- Absolutely no cystic acne or blind pimples under my skin
- My hair is less oily and I can go as long as five days without needing to wash it.
- I no longer have a T Zone shine and my skin is no longer as oily.
Here are a few negatives:
- Really bad aches and pains that sometimes keep me up at night
- Thinning hair which is kind of freaking me out
- Extremely dry lips that have started splitting on the side (this is not fun)
- Extremely dry scalp which is causing dandruff
Skincare Products used while on Accutane:
- Environ Focus Care Clarity+ Sebu-Wash Gel Cleanser
- Environ Focus Care Clarity+ Sebu-Toner Clarifier
- Environ Focus Care Clarity+ Sebu-Lac Lotion used in the mornings
- Environ Focus Care Clarity+ Sebu-ACE Oil
- Environ Focus Care Clarity+ Sebu-Clear Masque used once a week to help combat my scaring
Thankfully I only need to be on Accutane for six months, however, this could be extended if my dermatologist says so. Right now, I am trying my best to take supplements along with the Accutane to put back into my body whatever the Accutane is taking out. The aches and pains can get unbearable sometimes but I keep reminding myself that it will all pay off in the long run.
For those who deal with adult acne, like myself will understand the excitement of possibly having clear skin one day. No longer having to cover it up, in fear that people will comment or make mean comments. Having acne can be exhausting. It steals your confidence and self-esteem but, when you finally decide to no longer care about what others think and own the skin you are in, powerful things start to happen.
I hope you enjoyed this three months’ update.